The keywords were beyond extensive. There were many very broad keywords that were soaking up a lot of budgets but not generating leads. There were many keywords that had low to no traffic at all. There were some keepers in there, but this keyword list definitely needed some optimization. We did some keyword research using both our own Keyword tool and Google’s Keyword Planner and selected keywords that were more lower funnel. This means people who were searching in a way that reflected they were more ready to make a purchase.
There was no blacklist in place so many irrelevant searches were making associations against the previous keyword list. Thankfully we had a lot of data and were able to compile a good negative targeting list to help prevent wasted ad spend and increase the efficiency of the campaign.
In Google Ads, ad groups have sets of keywords that are being bid on, and then the ad copy that will be displayed when people search for those keywords. When a user searches for a specific keyword, they are asking a question and looking for a specific solution.
If a very broad or generic ad is presented, it will not be presenting the solution that the searcher is looking for and thus the Click Through Rate or CTR will be low. As a result of this, costs will increase due to the lower relevancy score.
When we did our initial evaluation, we found that the ads were generic and plain. They did not embody the business or deliver an answer to the question the searcher was asking. This was a big opportunity for improvement.
We created all new ads with fresh headlines and descriptions that included specific seed keywords. You do not want to search for a “puppy” and see an ad for a “kitten”. It is not relevant to the search that is being made and will not generate a lot of traffic. This change also increased the ad relevance score and click through rate.
The extensions on this account were lacking. There were no site link extensions, no call out extensions, no structured snippets, and the location extension was not integrated. There was a lot of opportunity in this section alone. We added any and all extensions that made sense for this business.
Sitelinks are a fantastic way to offer alternative links that may help searchers find what they are looking for. Callout Extensions are great to highlight specific things about your business, products, process, and more that puts you above your competitors. Structured snippets are wonderful to provide insight into your products, offerings, and more. Location extensions are a great way to tie your Google My Business profile to your ads account and which in turn places your address, phone number, and a map marker.
All of these extensions help ads perform better. It increases the real estate of the ad which is always a good thing. It offers the searcher more information which can help attract them to click on the ad and thus bring them through to your business. In the case of the location extension, it can also help bring people into your brick and mortar locations.
The original campaign was targeting a 10-mile radius around the location of the store. This is a prime area for targeting, but it is very limiting in terms of reach and available impressions. Traditionally, a very close radius to a brick and mortar store will yield very good results. However in the case of this business, people were willing to travel much further.
Using 10-mile increments, we increased the targeting radius to 40 miles and watched to see if people were willing to drive that far. We were pleased to see that people were sending inquiries in from as far as 30 miles away. We were getting inquiries and people traveling from 40 miles, but it was much less often. It seemed that 30 miles was the sweet spot. Having done this, we opened up a whole new source of ad inventory for this client’s advertisements.